Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Monday, October 20, 2014
As you know I'm a sucker for a pretty home. Designer Beth Blake and husband Corbin Day's Sag Harbor retreat is colorful, whimsical and an iconic Greek Revival, New England cottage. Enjoy!
Images and more info. here. Also, check out their dress line, Thread.
Images and more info. here. Also, check out their dress line, Thread.
Thursday, October 16, 2014
Good Morning! It feels like summer this week, that's a birthday gift enough for this girl!
Here's what I'm loving, besides the balmy weather this week!
1. I went to a wedding last Saturday, though I'm divorced, I still believe in the magic and romance of weddings and true commitments. I still can't help but pin pretty flowers and wedding gowns. This bouquet is stunning!
2. Marissa Webb is updating Banana Republic's style a bit!! P.S. Mom, I adore these gloves.
3. It really makes a difference!!
4. I have some gallery walls that need to be finished!!!! My living room is done, now onto the hallway.
5. Ahhhhh, Olivia! Do you ever look bad?
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
Happy Wednesday! I've been a busy lady. I had an install yesterday, it went very well, eek!!
The client has been amazing to work with and their home is beautiful.
I designed a number of custom pieces and I was thrilled with how they turned out. One in particular is fabulous. I'll share the image of it tomorrow!
I don't usually mention my birthday on my blog, but I did want to share my b-day wish list and thoughts with you today!
Here it goes:
1. I'm always thankful for another year, yes sometimes, turning a year older hurts but I'm blessed in so many ways...I'm thankful for my health and all I have including my wonderful children, boyfriend, family and friends!
2. I'm very thankful for my clients and blog readers, without you, I wouldn't have a thriving business or blog! So merci, merci!! xx
3. I'm also thankful for my partnership with ACE hardware and the crew I work with on a daily basis!
4. I feel very fortunate to own my little house - now it's time to finish it!!!
5. And finally here is my wish list...I'll be buying a few of these goodies for myself. I'm pretty thoughtful about my purchases, for me, that has come with maturity. (a plus to growing older) If I've been pining over an item for days or even weeks, there is a pretty good chance it'll make it into my shopping cart!
1. I need a new smaller bag. I often carry a work bag to appointments and for work travel so I prefer a bag that will fit nicely inside my work tote. I like the simplicity of this Loeffler Randal choice.
2. I've always wanted a Cartier tank watch!! That option isn't in the budget right now, but I do like this version. Watch link: Shop bop, 25% off your order with the code: FAMILY25
3. I try to buy classic pieces with a little twist...I'm loving this versatile sweater. I can dress it up or down.
4. I've mentioned my love of comfy loafers. I fly around town in comfy shoes and pink is one of my favorite colors. (these are available in a number of shades)
5. I've been agonizing over what style sofa to purchase for my living room. I think I've settled on a simple, clean lined tuxedo look. I would like to cover it in either linen or velvet. This new Serena and Lily option is pretty handsome! ;)
6. I'm ordering these beauties today!! The Dior knockoff from Bauble bar. I'll live in them!
I have the privilege of sharing my birthday with my father! Happy Birthday, DAD!!! xoxoxo
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 10/15/2014
Thursday, October 9, 2014
Wow, thirsty Thursday already? I've been working all morning on a pretty exciting project! I'll be ready for a drink tonight, fo sho.... I'm currently addicted to pumpkin ale with the cinnamon-sugar rim...Yum!
Here's what I'm eyeing this week!
1. This bracelet by Taylor and Tessier. I kinda want it for my bday! I collect bracelets...:)
2. Yes, to leopard heels. I need a pair but I have an issue with high heels staying on my, you got it, "heel", when I walk. Do you?? I guess this pair would solve that problem!
3. I'm loving this peaceful space.
4. My boyfriend would love this quote. I'm HUGE on communication but sometimes you just have to let things go to the universe..(and not talk them to death)
5. This is going in my bathroom! - it's a sculpture by Jade Rude view more work here.
6. Is there a beauty product you can't live without? My pick would be mascara.
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 10/09/2014
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Today, I am BEYOND excited to share my dear friend Erin Gate's fabulous new interior design book, Elements of Style: Designing a Home & a Life, from Simon & Schuster. The book was released on 10.7.2014 and is available to purchase here.
Erin and I go way back. We met at our first design job in Boston, that was over ten years ago and we have been friends ever since! Over the years Erin has built a wildly successful design blog, business. and now has released her first book.
Elements of Style : Designing a Home and a Life, beautifully mixes cohesive designs, practical advice and her witty voice/stories. The looks are attainable and fabulous. Each one layered with amazing details and the perfect amount of glamour. Erin also chronicles her own home renovation which you can also read about on her blog. I highly suggest this book for yourself and as a gift for the upcoming holidays. Trust me when I say you'll gobble up every bit of it!!
I'm so proud of you Erin, it has been a joy watching and sharing in your journey! You deserve every bit of this fame, my beautiful, talented friend....Much love, Julie (I just teared up) xoxo
Last night I had the pleasure of attending the book release party at West Elm in Boston. Here's a peek inside Erin's book and some photographs from the event! Enjoy!
|Images 1 & 2: Elements of Style, shares both fashion and interior design tips and advice!|
|Erin signed over three hundred books for her friends and loyal fans!|
|A picture of Erin and I!|
|A signature Cocktail was served - Yum!|
|Chive of Beverly, catered the event.|
|This image is from left to right architect, Derek Bloom , Laura Burned of LB custom projects, my boyfriend, Matty.|
Photography: Sarah Winchester (who also takes my interior photos)
Michael J. Lee, Eric Roth, Danielle Moss
Congrats to: Kathryn Beaumont Murphy (Erin's agent)
Illustrations in the book: Anne Harwell McElhaney
Book design: Jennifer K. Beal Davis
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
|Aesthetics and design cohesion are a huge part of my job as a designer, but a third element that shouldn't be over looked is functionality! I'm personally craving organization in my life right now.|
I'm sharing this room today not for the aesthetics of the design but for how they used the perimeter of the space. Each planned out "zone" ties together with the architectural elements of the home beautifully. The left hand side wall houses the tv, closed storage and open display shelving. The central focus of the room is the fireplace and built in seating wall. The right hand side is a designated personal work space. These three areas make wonderful use of the room's floor plan. I also love how they have incorporated an art shelf above the desk area. I most likely wouldn't have matched the fabrics so perfectly but the bones of the room are clean, concise and well done! Images via ( I also would have flipped the comfy looking chairs to face the tv)
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 10/07/2014
Friday, October 3, 2014
I must confess, I am a bit of a design book junkie. The more design details and images the better! I was thrilled to receive an advanced copy of designer Markham Robert's: Decorating the way I see it by The Vendome Press. I'll be displaying my edition with the cover off. How chic is the python cover?
Markham has the ability to beautifully layer both modern and contemporary styles. The book is uniformly laid out using the step by step interior design process. Beginning with the floor plan, and each subsequent step: background, scheme, furniture, collecting, art, custom designs and finally discusses the importance of the interrelationship between the interior and exterior design of a home. Below I've shared a peek of some of the beautiful interior images. Purchase the book here.
|image via La Dolce Vita blog.|
|These walls? Stunning!|
Thursday, October 2, 2014
1. Parenting is a tough job, there is no way to sugar coat it. Just when you have something down or solved another challenge seems to pop up. With that said, I adore my children and would do just about anything for them!! This quote resonated with me today!
2. I love looking chic but I also want to be comfy. My TB driving loafers have seen better days. I may need to invest in another pair. This Coach version is classic with a modern appeal.
3. I NEVER have time to do sweet little projects and I'm not a crafter. If I had some extra time on my hands I may bake a sweet treat now and then for my children.
4. I love everything about this look!!
5. There are some up-sides to living without a man. One being you can paint everything any color you'd like! How feminine is this lilac vanity??
6. Loving Tory Burch's new watch collection!
Posted by My name: Julie My design firm: SHELTER at 10/02/2014